History is witness to the manner in which Rasulullah Sallalahu Allayhi Wassallam preached Islaam and in what conditions he had done so. Did Nabi Sallalahu Allayhi Wassallam ever take a sword and harshly force the people to accept Islaam?
It is clear that Nabi Sallalahu Allayhi Wassallam never preached Islaam by force.
How was it possible for such a person to have spread Islaam by force when his background was as follows:
• He was an orphan even before he was born.
• He lost his mother at a tender age.
• He shifted from the care of one person to another during his childhood.
• He lived his entire life in a state of destitution.
• A fire was not lit for months on end in his home.
• His own family became his enemies because he preached the truth.
• He was unable to find a place of refuge for himself and for his friends in a city that granted peace and security to the entire creation.
Is it possible to imagine such a person using force to convert people towards his own ideologies?
Even after this state of helplessness, when Islaam gained strength and many brave and powerful people entered the fold of Islaam, no Muslim raised a finger against the disbelievers. Instead, the Muslims continued tolerating all sorts of oppression inflicted on them by their enemies.
The teachings of Islaam have a special kind of appeal and attraction. It advocates kindness to the creation and terminates oppression and tyranny. It implements justice and fairness and it grants protection to the life, honour and wealth of every individual. These beautiful qualities of the Muslims attracted people and they accepted Islaam willingly and wholeheartedly. They were then prepared to sacrifice themselves for the cause of Islaam. Unfortunately today, the Muslims have become unmindful of these beautiful qualities, due to which they themselves are being disgraced and have also become an obstacle for others entering into the fold of Islaam.
 (SEERAH OF MUHAMMAD Sallalahu Allayhi Wassallam Publsh. Ta’limi Board, KZN, Pg 28,29)