I hope you are in the best state of health and emaan.
Alhamdulillah my marriage plan is underway this year. But there is a slight clash with another important matter. And I would be grateful for your advice. I have been due to perform hajj for a few years but due to personal involvements in dunya have not been able to perform it and wanted to perform it this year. Unfortunately, my mother is planning the marriage around the same time and she is requesting me to delay the hajj for next year. She gives the following arguments:
1. Hajj is fard but is flexible and can be delayed for other matters.
2.There will be too much strain on us economically funding the nikah(estimate 10 lac rupees/Indian) as well as the hajj (3000 pounds/3 lac rupees).
3. I will have difficulty taking time off work for both.
4. Nikah has been delayed for a few years due to the previous masla already so should not be delayed.
Please advice in the light of the shariah. jazakAllah khair.
As-salāmu ‘Alaykum Wa-rahmatullāhi Wa-barakātuh.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Alhamdullilah, with your Dua’s and the fadhl and grace of Allah Ta’ala, I am in the best of health and state.
At the outset there are two issues with regards to your scenario which are to be dealt with;
In light of Sharia, if a person has the wealth then Haj becomes fard (obligatory) upon him.
On the other hand Nikah marriage is a great Sunnah and not a fard, however it could become fard on an individual based on each person’s capacity and situation.
In your instance you should weigh the situation and see if you have reached a stage were the urge of Nikah is dominant within yourself then you should give preference to Nikah than Haj.
Our advice is as follows, since we are living in such a society wherein Nikah has become mandatory for each person in order to save himself from falling into Haram and evils. You should give precedence to Nikah in a simple and non extravagant manner in which you would draw the Barakah and blessing of Allah Ta’ala, as well as taking your mother’s Dua’s by abiding by her decision.
At the same time you could make intention for Haj for the following year with your prospective spouse. Inshallah, if you would take the Dua’s of your parent’s in every stage of your life you would see barakah and blessings in your life.
We make Dua Allah Ta’ala grants you Barakah (blessings) in your marriage and may he grant you happiness in your life. Aameen
And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Luqman Hansrot
DISCLAIMER – efiqh.com questions
efiqh.com answers issues pertaining to Shar’iah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.efiqh.com for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. efiqh.com bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shar’iah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Efiqh.com bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of efiqh.com
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.