I trust you are well. I have a question regarding a Mosque Organisation (The Trust) that I help to run.
The Trust collects donations from members of the public and uses them for community projects which they run, food, general maintenance of the Mosque/properties and for purchasing property/land.
We would like to simplify this process and have only two boxes (Sadaqah Wajiba & Sadaqah Nafila).
- Could you provide a list of donations which would come under each category (i.e: Sadaqah, Zakat, Kaffarah, Sadaqatul-Fitr etc)
- Where someone has donated Sadaqah Nafila to the Trust – can the Trust use it for any purpose it sees fit?
If you could reply to this email, we would be most grateful.
(Question published as received)
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
The following would come under Ṣadaqah Wājibah:
- Ṣadaqah al-Fiṭr
- Nathr (vow)
As for Ṣadaqah al-Fiṭr/Zakāh al-Fiṭr, it is necessary to dispense it to its lawful recipients prior to the ‘Īd Ṣalāh. Hence, a separate collection should be made solely for Ṣadaqah al-Fiṭr and must be distributed to its rightful recipients at its correct time.
The following would fall under Ṣadaqah Nāfilah:
- General donations given to the Masjid
- General charity which was not given due to a vow etc.
Ṣadaqah Nāfilah may be used for the trust whilst Ṣadaqah Wājibah can only be given to the poor and needy (i.e. the lawful recipients of Zakāh). However, it should be made clear that the Ṣadaqah Nāfilah will be used by the trust and will not be delivered to the poor, hence, if one wishes to send his Ṣadaqah to the poor, he may put his money in the Ṣadaqah Wājibah box.
You may visit the following link for more details:
And Allah Ta’āla knows best
(Mufti) Bilal Issak al-Mahmudi
Mufti Faisal al-Mahmudi
DISCLAIMER – efiqh.com questions
efiqh.com answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.efiqh.com for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. efiqh.com bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Sharī’ah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Efiqh.com bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of efiqh.com
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website