Being Forced to Sign Divorce Papers


Assalam o alaykum wr wb. I gave one divorce (Talaq e Razi) to my wife after that we had rujuu through physical intimacy. But my wife denied that rujuu and married another man. Now my wife and her father came to me with divorce papers and asked me to sign those papers otherwise they will go to court and police. Kindly suggest me what to do? Is it must to sign divorce papers in islam? They brought papers from Sharia council. They said they not gonna file to masjid but they need these papers signed by me at any cost. They need these papers as a proof. But my question is that she married another person after our rujuu. And now asking me to sign these papers. I am worried. Kindly help me.jazakAllah


Kindly clarify the following in order for us to look into your matter further:

1) How many divorces did you give to your wife?

Ans: 1 divorce

2) What was your exact wording when issuing divorce?

Ans: by wish of Allah with the niyah of reunion I am giving you one divorce. (I had no idea how to divorce, I just knew that divorce without valid reason displeases Allah Subhanahu Tala – our reason for divorce was kind of invalid too. She was unable to explain her parents regarding our marriage. Her parents decided her marriage. So, she said it’s been 3 years, we couldn’t convince parents so divorce me.)

3) When did you make Ruju’? Was it within ‘iddah?

Ans: yes, it was within iddah. We had separation on 17th October and we had physical intimacy on November first week.

Ruju niyat was in my heart and it was by physical intimacy. But she denied this by saying that she had no intension to rujuu. But I explained that time too.

4) Which Shariah council is involved?

Ans: They brought papers from UK Sharia council. But they said they just downloaded online. I dont even know whether they are saying truth or not.

Jazakallahu Khayra

(Question published as received)


In the name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-raḥmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

Respected brother in Islām,

According to the information you have provided, we understand the following:

– You only issued one Ṭalāq Raj’ī (revocable divorce) to your wife

– You then reconciled (made Rujū’) with her within two weeks’ by having sexual relations

– Your wife is denying the Rujū’ by merely claiming she had no intention of Rujū’

– Your wife married another man after you made Rujū’

– Your wife and in laws are asking you to sign divorce papers which they have attained from a sharī’ah council, but you have not yet signed it.

In light of the above, firstly, it is important to know that the wife does not have to make intention for Rujū’. Intention for Rujū’ is only binding on the husband. Secondly, since you are claiming that you made Rujū’ with your wife within ‘iddah, then that Rujū’ will be established and your wife will remain in your Nikāḥ. Hence, her second marriage is invalid. It is necessary for her to return back to you.

Lastly, it is not obligatory upon you to sign the divorce papers presented to you by your father in law from the sharī’ah council. However, if you see your marriage failing and after exhausting all avenues you do not see a positive light of reconciliation, then you may consider ending this marriage. You should also report this issue to the sharī’ah council and present this Fatwā to them.

And Allah Ta‘ālā knows best
(Mufti) Bilal al-Mahmudi

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

فصل: ألفاظ الطلاق الرجعي، وحكمه

قال أبو جعفر: وإذا طلقها بأن قال لها: أنت طالق، أو: قد طلقتك: فإنه يملك رجعتها، فإن شاء راجعها قبل انقضاء العدة، وإن شاء تركها حتى تنقضي عدتها

وذلك لقول الله عز وجل: {يتربصن بأنفسهن ثلاثة قروء}، ثم قال تعالى: وبعولتهن أحق بردهن في ذلك

وقال تعالى: الطلاق مرتان فإمساك بمعروف أو تسريح بإحسان

ثم قال: {فإذا بلغن أجلهن فأمسكوهن بمعروف أو فارقوهن بمعروف}، فأثبت له الرجعة فيما دون الثلاث من الطلاق ما دامت في العدة

وقوله تعالى: {فإذا بلغن أجلهن}: معناه: فإذا قاربن من بلوغ الأجل؛ لأنه لا خلاف أنه لا رجعة له بعد انقضاء العدة. (شرح مختصر الطحاوي للجصاص دار البشائر الإسلامية – ودار السراج 5/ 20)

وللمزيد انظر: (الفتاوى السراجية (ص 218) – دار العلوم زكريا)

وإذا طلق الرجل امرأته تطليقة رجعية أو تطليقتين فله أن يراجعها في عدتها رضيت بذلك أو لم ترض لقوله تعالى: {فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ} [البقرة: 231] من غير فصل ولا بد من قيام العدة لأن الرجعة استدامة الملك ألا ترى أنه سمى إمساكا وهو الإبقاء وإنما يتحقق الاستدامة في العدة لأنه لا ملك بعد انقضائها ” والرجعة أن يقول راجعتك أو راجعت امرأتي ” وهذا صريح في الرجعة ولا خلاف فيه بين الأئمة.

قال: ” أو يطأها أو يقبلها أو يلمسها بشهوة أو بنظر إلى فرجها بشهوة ” وهذا عندنا. (الهداية في شرح بداية المبتدي. دار احياء التراث العربي (2/ 254))

يقول: يبدو [له] أن يراجعها قبل أن تنقضي عدتها. (الأصل للشيباني ط قطر (4/ 391))

وإذا طلق الرجل امرأته تطليقة رجعية أو تطليقتين فله أن يراجعها في عدتها رضيت بذلك أو لم ترض إنما شرط بقاؤها في العدة لأنها إذا انقضت زال الملك وحقوقه فلا تصح الرجعة بعد ذلك وقوله رضيت أو لم ترض؛ لأنها باقية على الزوجية بدليل جواز الظهار عليها والإيلاء واللعان والتوارث ووقوع الطلاق عليها ما دامت معتدة بالإجماع وللزوج إمساك زوجته رضيت أو لم ترض وقد دل على ذلك قوله تعالى {وبعولتهن أحق بردهن} [البقرة: 228] سماه بعلا وهذا يقتضي بقاء الزوجية بينهما. (الجوهرة النيرة على مختصر القدوري (2/ 50))