Assalam o laikum!
I am a 16 year old boy, Alhamdulillah pray 5 times a day, keeping beard etc. I have a bad habit and that is masturbation. I always repent from this grave sin but after a day or two commit it again. Alhamdulillah, I do not watch pornography but still I am involved in this filthy habit. PLease give me some practical advice on how to give up this habit. If you could also tell me what your great teachers, Mufti Ebrahim Desai sahab and Mufti Ahmed Khanpuri sahab advice in regards to this issue,I will be very grateful. PLease remember marriage is not an option for me at this stage. JazakAllah.
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Alhamdullilah, We are very pleased to see that you have referred to the Ulama for advice with regards to your evil and filthy habit so that you could change and rectify yourself. Sadly this act of masturbation has crept in the society and ruined many youth be it male or female. This is a very heinous and a despicable disease which could have an adverse effect on one’s health if one does not resort to any cure from it.
When one is in his teens, this is one of the most challenging times of his youth in order to stay away from sins, as at this moment ones passions and desires reach its climax.
Allah Ta’ala mentions in the Holy Qura’an;
وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ لِفُرُوجِهِمْ حَافِظُونَ , إِلَّا عَلَىٰ أَزْوَاجِهِمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ فَإِنَّهُمْ غَيْرُ مَلُومِينَ , فَمَنِ ابْتَغَىٰ وَرَاءَ ذَٰلِكَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْعَادُونَ[1
And they who guard their private parts, Except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they will not be blamed, but whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors.
The intended meaning of this Ayah is clear. Allah Ta’ala has praised the believers for guarding their private parts from that which he has made forbidden upon them. Allah has permitted them to approach their wives and slave girls. Thereafter, Allah Ta’ala mentions; whoever seeks beyond that which is lawful are oppressors who overstep from halal (permitted) towards haram (prohibited).
Hafiz Ibn Katheer Rahmatullahi Allayhi writes; ‘Imam Shafi Rahmatullahi Allayhi and those who agreed with him have concluded that masturbation has become haram from this Ayah.
It has been narrated on the authority of Sayiduna Abdullah ibn Masood Radiyallahu Anhuma that the Prophet Sallalahu Allayhi Wasallam said:
فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: يا معشر الشباب، من استطاع الباءة فليتزوج، فإنه أغض للبصر وأحصن للفرج، ومن لم يستطع فعليه بالصوم فإنه له وجاء.[2
‘O group of youth! Whoever from amongst you can marry should do so because it keeps the gaze low and it protects the private parts. And he who cannot marry should make it compulsory upon himself to fast because it breaks the lust.’’
In the above hadith Rasulullah Sallalahu Allayhi Wassallam has instructed a person who is incapable of marrying should resort to Saum (Fasting), as by fasting one is able to subjugate and control ones desires.
Physical harms caused by masturbation; 
1. It weakens the sexual organs and creates partial looseness in it.
2. It weakens the nerves generally – a result of the exertion caused by this action.
3. It affects the growth of the limbs especially the outer part of the urethra (duct through which urine is discharged from the bladder and the testicles). Hence it does not reach the limit of its normal growth.
4. It creates seminal (spermatic) inflammation in the testicles which causes quick ejaculation of sperm.
5. It causes pain in the vertebra column, the spinal column from which semen is ejaculated. This pain creates crookedness and twisting in the back.
6. It causes some limbs like the legs and hands to shiver.
7. It creates weakness in the cerebral glands of the brain which in turn weakens the power of perception and reason. Similarly, it leads to the weakness of memory.
8. It weakens the eye-sight and reduces its normal limit of vision.
9. It causes a person to become old before time.
10. It weakens the very delicate and fine nerves and veins of the sexual organs resulting in sexual impotency.
11. It causes harm to the four principal organs of the body i.e the heart, brain, liver and stomach.
12. It causes an excessive loss of blood as it takes eighty drops of blood to produce one drop of sperm.
My respected and honoured Ustaad and Sheikul Hadith Mufti Ebrahim Desai Muddazilluhu Alayhi has approved these tips by which one may overcome this heinous action.
- Stay away from all such avenues which lead to sins.
- The most important thing is that one protects his gaze from falling upon non-mahram (unlawful) women.
- You should not use the internet unless there is a genuine need for it.
- Try to refrain from visiting websites like YouTube which seem to be harmless, but contain immoral pictures on the side. You cannot place butter into a hot pan and expect it not to melt and you cannot touch an electrical wire and expect not to get shocked. Similarly, if you access immoral websites, you are bound to fall into sins.
- Try to keep your laptop or computer in a place where everyone can see what you are doing.
- It is very important that you do not purchase books/magazines/newspapers etc. that talk about or have immoral contents.
- If at any time you feel like browsing through porn websites or feel like masturbating, switch off your computer and immediately leave your room and come back when your desires are suppressed.
- Try and not to think about pornography or masturbation. The more you think about it, the more you will want to commit it.
- Try not to remain alone or idle. Shaitaan plays with a lonely person and an idle mind. Always keep yourself busy. If you have nothing to do, engage yourself in Zikr. This will keep you occupied.
10. In order to make sure you follow these rules, any time if you happen to masturbate, give some charity to the local masjid. Make sure this amount is realistic and reasonable.
11. Continuously make Dua to Allah to help you abstain from such a sin. Make as much as Taubah as possible. If your Taubah is sincere, Allah will grant you the Taufeeq to refrain from sins.
There are many virtues and rewards mentioned in the Ahaadith for a young lad who would control and over power his passion and desires.
Rasullullah Sallalahu Allaihi Wassallam has mentioned from amongst seven people who would be under the Arsh (throne) of Allah Ta’ala on the day of Qiyamah and would be saved from the intense heat of the sun would be a young lad who has saved himself from all evils and attached himself to the Ibaadat and worship of Allah Ta’ala.
Now that you have realised this sin and transgression, you should turn to Allah Ta’ala and make sincere Taubah and seek His forgiveness and make a firm pledge not to return to this sin again.
Rasullulah Sallalahu Allaihi Wassallam mentions in a Hadith;
التَّائِبُ مِنَ الذَّنْبِ، كَمَنْ لَا ذَنْبَ لَهُ[5
“The person who repents from sins is like a person who has never sinned.”
We make Dua Allah Ta’ala grants you steadfastness on his Deen and makes you a true Dayee (Inviter) of His Deen. Aameen
And Allah Ta’ala knows best
Mufti Luqman Hansrot
 (Holy Qura’an, Surat Al-Mu’minūn, Verses 5,6,7)
 (صحيح البخاري, دار طوق النجاة, ج7, ص3)
 (Masturbation, Al Medina Publications, Pg 12)
 عن أبي هريرة، عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: ” سبعة يظلهم الله في ظله، يوم لا ظل إلا ظله: الإمام العادل، وشاب نشأ في عبادة ربه، ورجل قلبه معلق في المساجد، ورجلان تحابا في الله اجتمعا عليه وتفرقا عليه، ورجل طلبته امرأة ذات منصب وجمال، فقال: إني أخاف الله، ورجل تصدق، أخفى حتى لا تعلم شماله ما تنفق يمينه، ورجل ذكر الله خاليا ففاضت عيناه ”
(صحيح البخاري, دار طوق النجاة, ج1, ص133)
 (سنن ابن ماجه, دار إحياء الكتب العربية, ج2, ص1419)